Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Kindergarten

Connor seems to be enjoying kindergarten. He seems happy enough to go there every day, though we don't hear a whole lot about what goes on. Today he had to do some work in order to go to the play stations. He cannot remember what the work was.
They started off with lines, shapes, and colors. They are practicing writing and spelling their first names. This week's letter is "L." Connor has some homework related to the /l/ sound. They have some basic sight words to learn. The phonics curriculum is the same he learned last year.
Every day they attend one activity. Monday is P.E., one day is computer lab, one day is music, Thursday is health and fitness, Friday is library.
In the morning he goes with a neighbor to school. We pick him up from after-school care. Next week he will start riding the bus home.
There is only one thing that I don't like. In a matter of days, Connor's speech changed in one MAJOR way: he is pronouncing his I's flat in the good old southern tradition. You know when you read southern vernacular in novels? "Ah" and "mah" for I and my? Connor's got that going on. And I just about died tonight when he said "I cain't." We're both correcting him, but it's not helping! I told him tonight it better change, or we're going to home school.

No comments:

Post a Comment